If you drive a car in Annapolis Valley you must have liability insurance, and this is the law. However, there are a lot of insurance options and choosing the best options can make the difference between financial disaster and a happy ending. Let's take a look at Jim and Barbara for example.
Jim and Barbara loved their new SUV. In fact, they took it for long drives on weekends and enjoyed trips to Big Trout Lake and Fort Frances. However, one day they were on the road when a deer suddenly ran out in front of them. Instinctively Jim swerved to avoid the deer, but lost control of the car in the process. The car bounced off a guard rail and into a stretch limo full of occupants in the other lane. The limo skidded and then rolled over several times, seriously injuring some of the occupants, including the driver.
Neither Barbara nor Jim were seriously injured but they felt terrible about the situation. A few months after the incident the couple were going over some car insurance documents and noticed that damages paid were in excess of one half million dollars. Fortunately, Jim had raised the limits on his liability policy to one million dollars (just one month before the accident), on the advice of his insurance broker. Jim was so thankful to his insurance professional, that he paid her a special visit to express his gratitude.
Why is Automobile Insurance Necessary?
You need vehicle insurance for several reasons, such as:
- It is the law - In Nova Scotia you must have certain types of coverage options or you could face serious fines.
- It will pay to repair your car if it is damaged
- You will be relieved of legal liabilities that could result in major lawsuits
- It will cover payments for injuries to you, passengers, and other drivers and passengers.
- You receive peace of mind in knowing things are covered.
Who Needs Auto Insurance?
When you own a passenger car or truck you must have it insured. If you rent a vehicle you need to have some kind of vehicle insurance. It doesn't matter if you own a car and do not drive. You still need to insure it. It also doesn't matter if you only drive a few kilometers per month or thousands of kilometers each month.
What are My Options?
Here are some coverage options you may wish to consider:
- Increased limits on liability and accident coverage
- Named peril or all perils coverage
- Roadside assistance
- Rental vehicle while your car is being repaired
How Can I Get the Best Policy and Lowest Rates?
Many drivers are choosing an independent auto insurance brokerage instead of doing business with just one insurance company. An independent brokerage like Russell Insurance Group Ltd can offer you a number of things that a single insurance company cannot, such as:
- We check with many insurers to get you the lowest rates
- You receive personal "small town" service
- Enjoy a customized insurance policy just for your needs
- 5 convenient locations
Many factors contribute to an insurance premium.
- Increasing your deductible is an easy way to reduce your insurance costs. By paying for the little repairs, like chipped windshields, scratches and parking lot door "dings" yourself, instead of claiming for them on your insurance, you will save money in the long run.
- Maintaining a good driving record is very important, as traffic violations will increase your insurance rates. Don't drive when you are tired, and please don't drink and drive.
- Have you considered the car you're driving? While the type of car you drive does not affect the premium you pay for Third Party Liability insurance, it does affect the cost of Collision, Vandalism and Fire and Theft coverages. Some vehicles offer better protection to occupants; some are more expensive to repair; some are more susceptible to theft than others. There are many factors that contribute to the cost of insuring specific cars - including the country of origin, the year the vehicle was manufactured, the availability of parts for the car, the safety test ratings... the list goes on and on.
We place an enormous amount of importance in our customers, and it shows in the way you are treated. We are partnered with many different automobile insurance companies, and that gives us the power to deliver the best coverage options to you at the lowest rates.
With all of the factors affecting your insurance, it's nice to have someone who can sort through the confusion and make it clear for you. Just speak to us. We represent your interests to insurance companies. We do the research, and offer you unbiased advice on choosing the right coverage for your needs. And because we're independent, we work for you, not the insurance companies.